Wednesday, December 3, 2014

How's Your Prayer Life?

Have you ever been stumped with prayer? Have you ever wondered if prayer really works? Have you ever felt like you don't know how to pray? Well, if you have, you aren't the only one. Yep, that's right, I have questioned prayer in my life too. Questioning prayer doesn't make you a bad Christian, it just means that you don't know all the answers.

Over the past couple months God has been working on me in the area of prayer. Believe me, it was an area that needed to be worked on. Although I've always been a firm believer in prayer, I have been somewhat of a lazy prayer. I have had seasons of GREAT prayer and also seasons of not-so-good prayer. But it's been in those GREAT prayer seasons, I've learned how important prayer is.

Today as I was reading Lysa TerKeurst blog, I was enlightened by this quote:

"Thinking about, talking about and worrying about something is not the same as praying about it."

What a beautiful truth this is. After reading her blog, I began to reflect on my own life. So often, I have questioned prayer because I did a lot more thinking, talking, and worrying about things, instead of actually praying. 

When I do pray (like pray pray), it's amazing how God takes all anxiety out of me. All of a sudden, there is a sense of peace in the middle of the storm. God also speaks to me in prayer. And no, I don't mean in an audible voice, but He speaks to my heart. All of a sudden, His Wisdom falls upon me and I can just feel His presence. It's in these prayers,I learn God's plan and not my own. 

So what is the right way to pray you may ask? Well, honestly, through my Christian walk, God has taught me that there isn't just one way to pray. We often times forget that prayer is just conversation with God. You can send up quick five second prayers as well as ten minute private prayers. God hears all of our prayers. Sometimes when you're on the go you don't have time to go into a private place and pray for 10 minutes, but you do have time to say, "Lord, I need you in this situation." Just know that God doesn't only hear long prayers, He hears the short ones too. It's all about where your heart is during those prayers.

I encourage you to reflect on your prayer life. If it's not up to par, today is the day you can get it there. While you're driving, talk to God, or at night instead of watching TV take time to pray for awhile as well. Pray before a meal, pray during your workout session. Challenge yourself until it becomes a habit. 

In the comments section I would love to hear how prayer has impacted your life. It's a beautiful thing and there's nothing like sharing the power of prayer. God bless you all! 




1 comment:

  1. Love your new post, everyone is a work in progress, and prayers and praying need work sometimes too!

    ReplyDelete