Sunday, November 23, 2014

The Fear of the Long Run

I fear long runs. Every time I hear the words, "long run," I cringe. I just know in my heart that my long run is going to be a very LONG RUN. I dread them, but I want to love them. When my training plan says 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and even 8 miles, I am perfectly fine, but when I see those double digits my body immediately wants to sleep in and skip the run. 

Okay, okay, I will admit, I don't mind running half marathons, but only if they are races. Heck, I was even cool with running a 20k (15.5miles) during a race. My problem is the long distance training runs. The runs where my pace is much slower than race day and I have no one around me to keep me motivated. I don't have a crowd or fellow runners pushing me to keep going. 

I have let the long run beat me all year. It beat me down during my triathlon training and it's beating me down now. Honestly, I think the reason why it's beating me down is because until today I haven't faced my struggle. I haven't admitted to myself that I fear it. Instead of admitting the fear, I sleep in or do a shorter run, and then make a valid excuse on why it didn't get done.

When you don't admit or face a struggle in your life, it's very difficult to overcome. The struggle just lingers until it's faced. You can try to hide the struggle and you can deny it all you want, but it doesn't go away. 

Today I am facing my struggle. I am no longer going to be defeated by the long run. Yes, I may cringe a few times when I hear a double digit number followed by the word "long run," but I will overcome it. 

They only way I know how to face struggle is through prayer. Scripture says in 1 Peter 5:7 to "Give all your worries and cares to God because He cares for you." In Philippians 4:6 the Word tells us, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving,  present your requests to God." Below is the prayer I will be praying about my struggle. Go ahead and put any of your struggles in the blank and pray this prayer with me. Together we can be overcomers! 

Dear God,
You are awesome! Thank You for Your goodness and mercy. 
In Your word You have told us to cast our worries upon You. 
I struggle with ________. I know I can overcome this with You. 
You are my strength. I seek Your help, strength, and guidance.
Thank You, Lord! I know I am victorious in all things through You.
In Jesus Name I pray,
Amen! 



5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I love the prayer & will definitely be using it! You WILL conquer the long runs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it! I am still working on getting to 1/2 a mile. I need to learn how to breathe so I'm not panting like a dog the whole time :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl I've been there! I know you'll get through it! It's tough at first.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes they will and I thank you for your encouragement! Means so much!

    ReplyDelete